The Hardest Button To Push

I’m sitting here tonight because I can’t log in to World of Warcraft. This is disappointing but nothing I’m all that upset about. I watched the first half of an NFL Preseason game on FOX and I’ll play a little Knights of the Old Republic after I post this.

But those details, as exciting as they are, are not the reason for my post. According to Blizzard, my account renews at tomorrow, 08/20/2010, and I’m having a tough time deciding if I should bother renewing.

Heroics are mind numbingly boring, and I overgear them on 3 of my 4 80s. I’d overgear them on my druid if I started playing him for more than a week.

We are done with PVE content. I've killed Lich King on my main, and our group has taken so many hits we can’t even attempt hard modes anymore. I've gotten 2 alts almost as geared as my main. Summer

I've tried PVP but its been tough. Horde on Nightfall for whatever reason have been losing a ton. It is not uncommon for it to take half a dozen games to get the daily done. I was on a 5s team for a while that was fun, but it feel apart when our Boomkin quit. Recently I started doing 2s with a Warrior (Holy Paladin/Arms Warrior), but I stunk up the joint pretty good. I’m sure I’d get better eventually, but starting this late in the season, we are at a severe gear disadvantage.

I need to put some serious time into preparing for 2 fantasy football drafts over the next two weekends, so I won’t be logging on much. By then it’ll be early September, and Civ will be only a couple of weeks away, and I’m going to want to play that a good bit. My WoW playtime has become pretty much a single player experience, so why not spend that time with a single player game.

This isn’t anyone’s fault. Boston is as good a guild leader as I have ever had the pleasure to be guilded with. But he can’t turn 7 people into 10, and he certainly can’t make people want to wipe on Hard Modes.

I did give some thought to looking for a guild that was still doing hard modes, but I promised myself I would stick with Devolve through thick and thin. I guild hopped in Burning Crusade, and I won’t do that again.

I have zero desire to level an alt. I’ve been through the Alliance and Horde stories too many times.

Of course, it’s not permanent, and I’m not deleting my toons or anything. I’ll come back for the Gnome/Troll event, and for Cataclsym. But right now, I don’t see much point in continuing to pay a monthly subscription while i wait for the next expansion.

So what to do on my last night in WoW for a while. Once the log in bug was fixed, I decided to spend the night with Honorshammer, as if there would be any other choice. I threw on a bunch of my Level 70 Raiding gear, and rocked my Hand of A’dal title. Since I didn’t have any bracers I used my old Zandalar Freethinkers. My Gearscore was 1698. I debated queuing for a Heroic just for the laugh of the groups reaction, but I decided against it.

If it didn’t cost money, I would have turned Honors back into a Dwarf and logged him out in the Chapel of Light in Stormwind. Since they don’t seem to take kindly to Blood Elves, I chose Light’s Hope chapel instead.

And now for the obligatory screenshot. WoWScrnShot_081910_233937

I’ve got a couple more posts planned for the blog so this won’t be the end of Honors Code, and I plan to maintain the Leveling Guide at least until Cataclysm obsoletes it.

Put your faith in the Light, and all is possible. - Tirion Fordring

Comments

Gravity said…
Have a good break matey! I just did a post on Paladin in beta, but probably not so interesting to you.
Shwitz44 said…
My last log out was probably the way you wished you logged out (providing I had a mace/shield instead of Hand of Rag equipped).
On the stairs of the Chapel of Light, mounted on my Argent Charger, in this equipment:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Malfurion&n=Cathmor
Anonymous said…
I took my dwarf back to her home in Coldridge Valley for my final log out :-)
Ferarro said…
I feel ya, Honors. I haven't logged onto my main in almost a month, I haven't truly raided on it in even longer - since May or so.

This is always the toughest time to play WoW; It's that limbo void that's caught between the last raid being 9 months old and the next expansion being a few months away. Anything and everything you do right now is invalid and will be leap-frogged anyway. It's hard to find purpose to play outside of unbridled fun, which dwindles as time wears on.

Like you, I'm taking a good, long break, at least until Cataclysm. I don't miss WoW at all thanks to my busy schedule, and I have a feeling you'll be the same. =)

I'll see you around Cata!

~F.
Ardent Defender said…
Sometimes its just good my friend to take a break from the game and try something else out while on break for fun. WoW will still be there and aren't going anywhere.

Its been over 6 months or so now since I cold turkey just walked away and took a long break. Yeap cold turkey! Haven't had to think about the game much, and the longer I stopped keeping up on things the easier it got. Cataclysm is all the rage I know, i'm not that clueless.

If i kept up on any character it probably would of being Paladin obviously. But to be honest I have not a clue in the world whats in store for Paladins or anything else much about the next expansion. I took a break and just decided I wasn't going to keep up with anything other that occasional visit a few WoW blogs that I usually read here and there about the game though not much a care to worry about the next expansion while I enjoy my very long break.

Sometimes a break is just good for the soul and get batteries fully recharged especially while waiting for the new expansion to happen. Enjoy some time off if you can my friend.
Grimadin said…
I wish I would have done something similar with Grimadin when I parked him that last time. I don't even remember what city he's got for a home now.

Popular posts from this blog

Cataclysm Profession Bonuses

Raid Comp Tool

Back To Basics: The 969 Paladin Threat Rotation