Gentlemen, We Have A Taunt

"It's your Father's Lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon from a more civilized age." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Righteous Defense is The Paladin "taunt". Up until now, every Tankadin I know has used a macro to make the bloody thing work. Those days are at an end.

Righteous Defense (RD) is true taunt now, the weapon of a tank. Not as clumsy or random as it used to be. An elegant taunt from a more compassionate Blizzard.

I tested it extensively last night on the Isle of Quel'Danas.

RD just works.

Imagine a couple of scenarios.

Two Mobs, call them Big and Scary , and a player, call him Quishy, and a Tankadin, call him, oh I don't know, call him Honorshammer.

Honorshammer targets Big, and hits RD. Big now targets Honorshammer.

Target the mob, RD. Mob on you.

Honorshammer targets Big. Big is targeting Quishy. Scary is also targeting Quishy. RD. Big AND Scary target Honorshammer.

Target the mob, and RD. If there was another mob targeting the same player, you get both mobs.

Honorshammer targets Quishy. Big is also targeting Quishy. RD. Big targets Honorshammer.

It still works the "old" way.

I did find it incredibly easy for someone to pull an RD'ed mob back off me. I'm not sure if it's a true aggro transfer like other taunts or just a "You must attack him". I'm not sure what if any duration the "You must attack him" debuff has.

I firmly believe this change was DIRECTLY because one of the CMs (Drysc, I believe) plays a Tankadin. One of the comments he made on the boards was how clunky and unintuitive RD was in it's original form. The very next patch, we have this new RD, and a lovely thing it is.

We now have someone close to the Developer's playing our class. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I had not noticed much of a problem with our taunt before the 2.4, which problems are you saying was resolved?
Anonymous said…
lol, after reading your first line again, i get what you were talking about. how, without the macro, you need to click the player and not the mob, and how now you can click either. newb<-----:)
Unknown said…
Really, it works without the "standard" macro?
That'd be neat, and I wonder why we didn't see anything about this in the patch notes...
Anonymous said…
I feel fairly certain that there is a true aggro transfer, or I don't think the taunt would work very well for fights like Nalorakk.

Fedaykin98
Ardent Defender said…
As sometimes happen not all changes are always documented in the patch notes.

I guess RD is just now working as originally intended. Great you tested it also to see the change. So will now be aware of it.

The way I see it thinking if it is we basically have another way to taunt YET its the very same taunt. For instance my UI is set tanking using "Targettargeting" so I can always see who mob is targetting. If it changes target and start running I can immediately taunt. I can also reHotkey the RD button and select the player and also taunt that way which was what you tested and also now works as intended. Awesome.

I do use BoP macro as a taunt or to know the highest aggro player off the mob table but that's more of a tactical use button for either or.

Popular posts from this blog

Cataclysm Profession Bonuses

Raid Comp Tool

Back To Basics: The 969 Paladin Threat Rotation